This is no ordinary afternoon program! The Afterschool Learning Center at Bowers’ Kidseum in an enrichment program that provides year-round, afterschool care, homework support, and arts and cultural instruction to underserved students that reside and attend schools in Santa Ana, California. When students arrive in the afternoon, they are served healthy snacks and then the rest of their (up to) three hours at the after school program include a mixture of homework support, special art-class and art-making activities, free play in the museum, organized programs with special guest instructors and/or performances as well as scheduled visits to the Bowers Museum to tour permanent and special exhibitions.
At the end of each school year students are taken by bus, to a local college to expose them to colleges and develop a visible pathway to college.
For parents, guardians, and teachers, there are even more reasons to come! Our yearly surveys show the program has a big impact on the lives of the local children and their families:
- 100% of students improved their math skills
- 91% improved their English/language arts skills
- 90% improved their social studies skills
- 85% improved their science skills
- 100% of parents report improved behavior at home
- 99% of parents report improved self-esteem and confidence in their children
- 90% of parents believe their children have benefited from the program because they learn about a variety of cultures through art programs and museum exhibits.
We currently have openings! For more information and to register for the After School Learning Center please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 714.567.3694
Generous support to the After School Learning Program is provided by Wells Fargo.