Frequently Asked Questions about Donations, Appraisals and more
Appraisals, Authentication, and Conservation
The Bowers Museum of Cultural Art is ethically and legally unable to provide authentication or appraisal services. The Bower Museum does not offer conservation services. Below is a select list of references that may be helpful if you are in need of these services.
- The American Society of Appraisers, (800) 272‐8258, www.appraisers.org.
- The International Society of Appraisers, (312) 981‐6778, www.isa‐appraisers.org
- Bonhams & Butterfields, (323) 850‐7500, www.butterfields.com.
- Christie's, (310) 385‐2600, www.christies.com.
- Sotheby's, (310) 274‐0340, www.sothebys.com.
- Art Dealers Association of America, (212) 940‐8590, www.artdealers.org.
- For painting conservation: Balboa Art Conservation Center, (619) 236‐9702, www.bacc.org.
- For textile conservation: Conservators of Fine Fabrics, (562)697‐7763, www.coff.com.
- American Institute for Conservation, (202) 452‐9545, aic.stanford.edu
Donations of Artwork
The Bowers Museum welcomes donations of significant works of art for its permanent collection, however art is not accepted for donation on a “walk in” basis.
If you would like to donate art to the Bowers Museum please send a letter or e‐mail with your current contact information (phone and e‐mail) to Curator of Collections and Special Exhibitions, Bowers Museum, 2002 N Main St., Santa Ana, CA, 92706 or, firstname.lastname@example.org. To expedite your inquiry, please indicate the specifications of the work (artist name, title of work, date, medium, dimensions and how and when you acquired the artwork) and include an image for preview (this can be a snapshot). If you would like your proposal returned, please include a self‐addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage. Please allow up to 3 months for us to review your donation.
A review panel is in place to look at submissions for exhibition. Please note that the Bowers Museum, only in extraordinary circumstances, exhibits the work of contemporary artists or considers exhibitions drawn exclusively from private collections. Before submitting we encourage you to familiarize with the Bowers Museum’s past exhibitions as a comparison of the caliber of exhibitions we are interested in. If you feel your exhibition proposal fits our mission, to enriches lives through the world's finest arts and cultures, please send your proposal (complete with digital images) to Curator of Collections and Special Exhibitions, Bowers Museum, 2002 N Main St., Santa Ana, CA, 92706 or, email@example.com. Do not send original artworks. If you would like your proposal returned, please include a self‐addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage. Please allow up to three months for us to complete our review and to contact you with our decision.