Frequently Asked Questions about Donations, Appraisals and more
Appraisals, Authentication, and Conservation
The Bowers Museum is ethically and legally unable to provide authentication or appraisal services. Additionally, Bowers Museum does not offer conservation services. Below is a select list of references that may be helpful if you are in need of these services.
- The American Society of Appraisers, (800) 272‐8258, www.appraisers.org.
- The International Society of Appraisers, (312) 981‐6778, www.isa‐appraisers.org
- Bonhams & Butterfields, (323) 850‐7500, www.butterfields.com.
- Christie's, (310) 385‐2600, www.christies.com.
- Sotheby's, (310) 274‐0340, www.sothebys.com.
- Art Dealers Association of America, (212) 940‐8590, www.artdealers.org.
- For painting, works on paper, photographic materials, murals, and frame conservation: Balboa Art Conservation Center, (619) 236‐9702, www.bacc.org.
- For textile conservation: Conservators of Fine Fabrics, (562)697‐7763, www.coff.com.
- American Institute for Conservation, (202) 452‐9545, aic.stanford.edu
Donations of Artwork
Due to the sudden passing of Bowers Museum President & CEO, Dr. Peter Charles Keller, the Bowers Museum Board of Governors has placed a temporary moratorium on donations of artwork to its permanent collection until new leadership is established. Thank you for your patience while we navigate this difficult time.
Any questions regarding the temporary moratorium or our collecting policies can be directed to Brooke Garcia, Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org
A review panel is in place to look at submissions for exhibition. Please note that the Bowers Museum, only in extraordinary circumstances, exhibits the work of contemporary artists or considers exhibitions drawn exclusively from private collections. Before submitting we encourage you to familiarize with the Bowers Museum’s past exhibitions as a comparison of the caliber of exhibitions we are interested in. If you feel your exhibition proposal fits our mission, to enriches lives through the world's finest arts and cultures, please send your proposal (complete with digital images) to Director of Special Exhibition Development, Bowers Museum, 2002 N Main St., Santa Ana, CA, 92706 or, email@example.com. Do not send original artworks. If you would like your proposal returned, please include a self‐addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage. Please allow up to three months for us to complete our review and to contact you with our decision.